a quiz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    will
    Keymaster

This is more in keeping with the spirit of the quiz – “What lies here?”
    Will try this immediately. Your other suggestions, while worthy of a guess are possibly a little too simplistic. I am pretty sure the co-ordinates are correct, which rules out some of your other suggestions. I only say this because another “contestant” says he has a correct answer and it has been checked.
    My own gut feeling is that there is something buried in the ice here, or lying under the ice, in the water – hence I will try variations on “Williams”, “bulldozer” etc.

Once again, thanks for the advice
    Mike

MN-Sparky

and attached to that bull doser is the Only ground wire on the island, it
    goes to the Crary Lab. There is no other electrical ground anywhere on that
    island and most likely on that entire continent.

Rick

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Rick — YIKES! You mean the whole station is on a floating ground, or else it’s all grounded through Crary?

I knew Arrival Heights was poorly grounded (there’s a 60hz hum on the VLF equipment) but I thought the power plant at least had a seawater ground.

glenn

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I don’t think the ground goes to Williams bulldozer. I’ve heard stories that the ground goes to either an old bulldozer or an old jeep that was sunk in Winter Quarters Bay

thepooles98
    Keymaster

How about the Erebus Ice Tongue. That is close to the area as well.

will
    Keymaster

Afraid that’s no good, tried and failed

will
    Keymaster

Have tried variations on “Williams” and “Bulldozer” with no luck. This is proving to be a real bind. Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Mike

will
    Keymaster

Afraid the coordinates are right. I’m (fairly reliably) informed that most of your suggestions have been tried without success.

Looking at Grantg’s comments earlier. – At your latitude, one degree minute = .22 nautical miles. Now I know they’re not the same, but to land lubbers that’s 387 yards. Therefore one second = 6.45 yards and this quiz question is in 1/10ths of a second. The answer must be something less than a yard in length/breadth. If my math is wrong let me know, but I don’t think I am talking about a “base” or even a geographical feature.

Goodness only knows how they got their information, but there is something small at this location.

Further ideas most welcome

Mike

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Here’s another way to look at it…

The quiz latitude is 77° 38′ 36.9″ S.

Cape Evans is at 77°38’S.

So what ever it is, it’s at the same latitude as Cape Evans. The latitude’s seconds specification is in the noise: 36.9″ = .62′ = .13 nautical miles, or just a short pub-crawl away. If I recall, the cross at Cape Evans is slightly south of the hut, so that could match — as could some of the dog skeletons.

Now let’s look at the longitude. The given longitude in the quiz is 166° 45′ 58.5″ E, right?

Cape Evans is at 166°24’E. Doing the math… ~46′ – 24′ = 22′, 22′ x .22nm/min = 4.84 nautical miles.)

So assuming your original quiz coordinates are correct, whatever it is lies roughly 5 nautical miles East of Cape Evans, basically on the western slope of Erebus.

The best online map of Erebus I can find is at:
    http://www.ees.nmt.edu/Geop/mevo/geology/geomap.html
    Click on the “Big (250 KB)” link towards the bottom to get the map.

BTW, the location for Cape Evans comes from the New Zealand Antarctic Programme’s web site, http://www.antarcticanz.govt.nz/article/4003.html#5018

glenn

will
    Keymaster

Have tried memorial cross and dog skeleton – no luck.
    Will try all these photo images for a clue, thanks
    Mike

will
    Keymaster

Solved!
    The answer is a seal!!!

The logic, if it can be called that, for solving this, which came from a friend of mine, went thus:
    There’s nothing man-made at those coordinates, (see your previous comments, Google Earth etc), whatever is there is also fairly small, (see previous comments). The only two things that fit that description in the Antarctic are penguins and seals. Penguin was wrong.
    Quad erat demonstrandum or when you exclude the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. I hate this quiz, thank you all for your help.

Mike

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

I’m speechless.

MN-Sparky

Mike…if you don't mind me asking….what the heck are you looking for? I
    obviously took interest in this “Quiz” late in the game but i've followed
    your adventure for a while now and my curiosity is peeked.

Rick

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Hmmm is McMurdo Sound a Sea?  I suppose it is part of the Ross sea.

MN-Sparky

Hey Mike…is it one of those seal carcasses frozen in the ice a short
    distance from Hut Point?

Rick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.