Anybody leaving 1 Oct?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    will
    Keymaster

(I can’t call the 800 number that’s all over everything, because I live in the same local area code as Denver, so anytime I try it, I just get a message about how this number is not available from my calling area.)

DeSoto

Hello,
      Try this number:

303-790-8606

I leave on the 30th from my home to LA, and I just did receive travel information last week.  They contacted me by e-mail with the itinerary and then I needed to call travel to confirm.

Is your supervisor in Denver or McMurdo?  All supervisors should be available to you for questions.  If they are in McMurdo, you could e-mail them.  Most of the time they have a counterpart in Denver you could consult with.

Any questions, I can try to help you out.

Susan M. DeSoto

Yahoo! for Good
    Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

will
    Keymaster

I’ll try that number. Thanks. 🙂

Operator Guy

Hey Pooles (Mike I believe is your name), I assume there radio people down there that know about freq and programming scanners?  Thats one thing ve gotten just for the trip but damned if you dont need a college degree to get this thing working.  The handbook is like trying to build and program a computer by directions if youve never done it.  I got a triple trunking scanner over here that is supossed to be like the baby Jesus of all scanners, and I cant even get my local police on it.

will
    Keymaster

Got my deployment info today!

Tuesday, Oct 4th.
    DEN – LAX – AKL – CHC.

Thanks everyone for your help. 🙂

– Rebecca

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Operator,
    I’m a ham radio operator and we do lot’s of ham stuff down here. Get your licence and join us if you like that kind of thing. No code tech will get you into the summer ham club activities. General class is better for the winter. No real need for a scanner for the local stuff. Especially if you are an equipment operator. You will have a radio with most of the frequencies. The provided radios don’t scan though.

Rebecca, we’ll see you soon.
    Mike

Operator Guy

How much money should  i bring?

will
    Keymaster

You will be given funds to cover your expenses from home to the Ice.  And there are 2 ATM’s at McMurdo.  So a couple of hundred for your personal comfort may be an appropriate amount.

Zondra

For the example above, I would personally throw a lot more of that stuff into my check bag, if my check bag was only at 50lbs.  55lbs seems like a lot for a carry on.  For your carry on bag, you are not limited by weight, however, you ARE limited by size.  Your bag needs to fit into a bin of a certain size.  (and then a laptop, that doesn’t count towards that). 

But yes, you can bring more than 75lbs, if you know how to pack right (if it’s an issue, put heavy small stuff in your carry-on…. and leave the big light stuff in your check in bag)

Z

will
    Keymaster

[font=Times New Roman:0vyr2w7u]Yep, that sounds reasonable the way you’ve explained it.  One clarification to the carry-on, though:  while weight is not limited, size is.  One of the issued orange bags will be your carry on, and everything must fit inside of it or on your person.[/font:0vyr2w7u]

[font=Times New Roman:0vyr2w7u]I’m sure someone has already mentioned it, but plan to stash everything you’ll want during the flight in your pockets & coat.  While the carry on is often within reach, depending on which plane you take and the number of other passengers, you may or may not be able to easily access it.[/font:0vyr2w7u]

[font=Times New Roman:0vyr2w7u]Happy packing & good luck![/font:0vyr2w7u]

[font=Times New Roman:0vyr2w7u]E[/font:0vyr2w7u]

Zondra

I’m not sure if I can accurately describe the size of an orange bag….  maybe 2′ x 2′ x 3′ (some other Ice-person, correct me if I’m wrong, I’m bad at sizes)….. If you completely fill it up, it will be larger than the allowed carry on.  Not that they always check that, though.  The don’t look too big, but they sure can hold a lot.  You’re alowed to use your own bags as well.

I might have some photos of an orange bag on my webpage (I’m pretty sure I put some up my first year here, if you go to that link).  Also, my email addresses are listed on my webpage…  Feel free to email me with more questions.

http://www.zondra.org

Z

Operator Guy

See this is something I didnt want to ask because i figured aI was asking too many questions already.  I’m allowed 50lbs per 2 checked bags for my domestic flight but I need to be under 75 total for 2 checked bags plus the issued gear, on the Mc flight?? 

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Yup, travel light.
    If need be, once you get to Christchurch, take your extra stuff and send it guardmail. To do it bring it to the APO post office and they’ll walk you through. The post office is in the same complex where you get the clothing and is easy to find.

Zondra is right, Once you fly down, wear all the heavy stuff, or put it in the carryon. Make sure you can squeeze the carry on into the box. They will sometimes not allow you on if it’s too big. If you have to get creative. put your bag in first and squeeze your stuff in any empty place.

Operator Guy

Well I’ll miss the comp but off it goes to storage tomorrow.  Oh well

Zondra

If you’re debating bringing a laptop, my recomondation is to bring it.  It’s nice to collect photos on, and if you have music on it, that’s nice.  When you fly from CHC to McM, you can carry the laptop, on your lap, and it doesn’t have to fit into the small box size thing.  I debated bringing my comp, and I’m glad that I did.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.