Antarctica Forums › Forums › Antarctic Memories Message Board › MSN Archives › Glacier Restoration Log 14, 9 June 2002
- This topic is empty.
July 31, 2002 at 7:57 am #115SkuaMember
Forwarded for those interested.
RESTORATION LOG 14 09 June 2002
- Plan to join and support the restoration crew aboard Glacier the week of July 7th, 2002. Go to the web site for more details. We are closing in on the movement date. This may be one of your last chances to earn special recognition for having worked aboard Glacier while she lies at MARAD. You will be sorry when you see what the others have earned!!
- We have concluded negotiations with MARAD and expect to sign the transfer documents shortly. Patrick Lennon Esq. of South Port, CT. is donating the Admiralty legal work. Thank you, Patrick
- The discussions about berthing continue. We are moving closer to an agreement, but the multiplicity of authorities is, to say the least, confusing and cloudy. However, we believe that suddenly this will come to a close as well and we will be able to announce the winner of the GLACIER’S next port.
- Dr. Jerri Nielsen
- We are expanding our management organization and forming a tiered level of interlocking teams. The Management Board is entirely new. Its mission is to “manage the Business of the Society” by writing the business plans, supervising the specialty working units and driving the time line to accomplish the goals. Here is the membership of the Management Board. This is indeed an impressive group of men. We all are indeed grateful for their commitments. Capt. Will Sawyer, USN (Ret) of Boston, MA; Charles P. Stetson, USN (Ret.) of Fairfield, CT.; Steve Soler, Upper Arlington, Ohio; Rev. J. Perry Wooton, USN (Ret.) Eastchester, NY. and Capt. Martin McNair, USN (Ret.) Richmond, CA. We will publish more on this subject in our Newsletter.
- We have completed initial negotiations with insurance underwriters and have set forth a clear path for obtaining insurance for liability and ship movement. Further, we have agreed upon a path to gain insurance for operation of the ship at sea. We are waiting completing of the ships survey for issuance of insurance for the movement to the pier. This should all be completed this month.
- We have a Grant request pending before the selection Committee of Save America’s Treasures. Visit http://www.nps.gov to learn more about this program. We could use letters of support from members of Congress. If any of you can assist in this regard please do so today!! The Committee is acting as you read this memo. Write to Treasures@nps.gov . We especially wish to thank Congressmen Shay’s and Simmons, both of whom have sent letters of endorsement to the committee.
, author of ICE BOUND and famous cancer survivor from the South Pole Station has joined our Medical Advisory Board. Jerri is going to take a very active role supporting the Glacier Society. She will be donating her time and the revenue earned from major speeches to the Society. We have recently spent time together planning the ships medical restoration and building an alliance with one or more major medical schools. Our plans are BIG and THEY WILL BE ACCOMPLISHED! There is no possible way I can express to you her level of commitment to our mission. We are truly blessed to have this wonderful lady on our team.
- The forum ‘MSN Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.